It is said that one is either a beach person or a mountain person. But what if you had a chance to experience both? The islands of Malaysia are just the perfect destination for a vacation, where one can take long walks by the beach and get a little adventurous exploring the mountains and forests.
1. Langkawi – Also known as the Jewel of Kedah, Langklawi Island has been named a World Geopark by UNESCO. The island offers some of the most picturesque beaches and scenic forest areas.
Some of the must visit beaches are Pantai Tengah, Pantai Kok and Pantai Cenang (to name a few). The geoforest parks in Langkawi are Kilim Karst Geoforest Park, Machincang Cambrian Geoforest Park and Dayang Bunting Marble Geoforest Park.
2. Tioman Island – Situated on the East Coast of Malaysia, the Tioman Island is a popular destination for scuba divers. The beaches have coral reefs and the island itself is sparsely inhabited. Also, the island is surrounded by many smaller islands that are uninhabited. They are a perfect romantic getaway.
3. Pangkor Island – Locally known as the Pulau Pangkor this island offers many places for sightseeing, apart from beaches. The Dutch Fort, Fu Ling Kong temple, Tiger rock and Tortoise hill are some of the must visit places. Besides that one can also try their hands at fishing as it is one of the main occupations here.
4. Penang Island – Penang island is also known as the Pearl of the Orient. It is impossible to find any island with so many natural wonders. The beaches in Penang have been blessed with golden sand and crystal clear water. This island is a tropical paradise, and water babies will love being here.
5. Redang Island – Clear blue waters, white sandy beaches, coral reefs, turtles and a beautiful white canopy, this is the only way one can describe Redang islands. Redang comprises or 9 jewels which are its 9 beautiful islands. Readangs waters are not just clear but also have a sweet surprise for snorkellers and scuba-divers, coral reef. Coral reef is just one of the most beautiful gifts this island has to offer.
6. Perhentian Island – in Malay perhenthian means stopping point, this island has a lot on offer, scuba-diving, turtle conservation volunteering, sunbathing, kayaking and snorkeling are just some of the many things you can do here. Not only does it have adventure activities but is home to many species of sharks and most of them are not a genius unless provoked.
7. Banggi Island – Banggi island is the largest island in the Sabah region. It is considered to be one of the most picturesque islands because of its clean beaches. Thick rain forests cover almost 70% of this island and is a perfect haven for endangered species of animals . Banggi island is also famous for bird watching, trekking, nature trails, island hopping and deep sea fishing.
8. Sipadan – Did you know that the island was formed due to coral growth on an extinct volcano?
Located off the eastern coast in Sabah, Sipadan is the only ocean island in Malaysia. It is ranked as the world’s best destination for scuba diving. The island is home to more than 3000 different coral species. It is also the breeding ground for many turtle species.
These were the 8 must visit islands in Malaysia but, Malaysia has many more wonders waiting to be explored.
Find your nearest Asian Store