1.5kg pork belly (boneless)
2 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoon five spice powder
2 large red chillies, sliced thinly
Micro herbs or coriander leaves
300g castor sugar
5 whole star anise
75ml fish sauce
Method1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Pat dry the pork belly skin. Score the skin evenly, making sure the flesh is not penetrated.
3. Rub salt on the skin and into the holes. Place pork into the fridge uncovered and allow it to rest overnight
4. Remove pork from fridge and cover the flesh with foil, ensuring only the skin is exposed. Before cooking, lightly dry out any excess moisture on the skin and rub a little more salt.
5. Place pork in the oven and cook for 1 hour
6. Remove pork from the foil and turn oven to grill and cook for 20-25 mins or till skin till golden and crispy. The skin should also be a bit puffy.
5. For the caramel glaze, put the sugar and water in a large saucepan. Place on to the heat and bring to the boil without stirring. Add the star anise then continue to boil until the syrup turns a light tan colour. Add the fish sauce and cook for 5 minutes until it starts to thicken and resemble a glaze. Set aside.
6. To serve, cut pork into 1.5-2cm cubes and lay it on a platter. Pour the glaze over the pork sparingly and garnish with fresh cut chilli and herbs.