3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1kg (2.2Ib) large fresh king prawns shelled, deveined and tails intact
1 (1.2kg/2.65Ib) large topless pineapple (550g/19.4oz of pineapple flesh)
2 medium Truss tomatoes diced into 2cm pieces
60g/2oz Tamarind puree or tamarind paste
400ml light coconut milk
1 tablespoon Stevia or raw brown sugar or to taste
½ teaspoon salt or to taste
Steamed rice or turmeric rice to serve
For the spice paste:
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 small brown onion cut into wedges
4 long fresh red chillies deseeded and cut into 3 cm pieces
10 small dried red chillies deseeded
5 kaffir lime leaves, stems removed and leaves finely sliced
3cm piece fresh galangal, peeled and finely sliced
3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced
2cm piece fresh turmeric, peeled and finely sliced or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 stem lemon grass, white part only, finely sliced
For the Garnish:
Fresh mint leaves (optional)
1. Peel and remove cores of pineapples and roughly cut into small 3cm triangle pieces. Set aside.
2. Add the ingredients for the spice paste into a food processor and blend until you get a smooth paste. Alternatively, you can use a mortar and pestle if preferred.
3. Heat up 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a wok and add the spice paste and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until aromatic on medium heat.
4. Add the assam (tamarind) puree or paste and tomatoes to the wok and stir-fry for another 2 minutes on medium heat.
5. Then add in all the coconut milk, sugar and salt and stir and combine well and bring to a boil.
6. Cook the prawns in the sauce on low to medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until prawns are just cooked. Stirring the sauce occasionally to ensure its not sticking at the bottom. Remove the prawns and set aside.
7. Add the pineapple pieces to the wok and cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
8. Return the prawns to the wok and stir and combine for another 2 minutes on medium heat.
9. Serve together with steamed rice or turmeric rice.
Find your nearest Asian Store