Tasty fragant meatballs served with fresh salads
For the meatball:
24 hard boiled quail eggs, shelled
500g pork mince
1 onion, pureed
1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon grass
Dash of pepper
2 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon Squid fish sauce
1 cup Panko breadcrumb, placed in a freezer bag
For the nuoc cham dipping sauce:
1-2 fresh chillies
1 clove garlic,
4 Tablespoonful sugar
7 Tablespoons lemon juice
6 Tablespoons Squid fish sauce
9 Tablespoons warm boiled water
Peanuts, toasted and chopped
To serve with salads:
Variety of mints
Carrot, finely julienned
Lebanese cucumber, finely julienned
1. Mix all meatball ingredients together in one direction until well combined.
2. Divide mince mixture into 24 portions. Roll mixture into meatballs.
3. Flatten meatballs then encase the quail eggs.
4. Place a couple of stuffed meatballs in breadcrumbs into a freezer bag at a time and gently shake to coat
5. Remove crumbed meatballs and arrange on a tray lined with baking paper.
6. Bake in oven at 200C for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. To make dipping sauce, pound chillies, garlic and sugar together. Add lemon juice, fish sauce, water and stir until all the sugar dissolves. Adjust to taste.
To serve, add crushed nuts to nuoc cham dipping sauce. Wrap meatballs with lettuce topped with herbs and salads. Dip wrap in nuoc cham dipping sauce.
Find your nearest Asian Store